One of the most important decisions you can make in life is to get clean from drugs and alcohol.
Getting beyond denial and admitting to yourself that you have a problem and need help is the first step in the process of recovery. Recovery does not happen instantly because it is a process of making many changes that will ensure lifetime sobriety. It will take time to understand what changes are necessary and how to accomplish them. Once your knowledge is increased it should give you the incentive to follow through with the process and make essential changes in your thinking and behavior patterns. This is the path you must follow for the rest of your life if you want to be clean and have a better life.
To begin, you must make the commitment to follow the process that will bring you sobriety. You should decide what goals are important for you to achieve and then set those goals. Next is finding the treatment plan that best fits your needs depending on the severity of your addiction problem, and other co-morbidity issues such as other physical or mental problems. You will need mental/emotional support to achieve your goals and will find it with therapists, counselors, peer support groups, trusted family and friends and in your faith. Once the initial phase of treatment has been completed, you will transition to aftercare treatments to maintain a sober lifestyle. Getting clean may sound overwhelming and impossible to do, but it isn’t. Many people have already followed the path and achieved their goals. It will take time and work, but there are many benefits to getting clean. Below is a list of ten reasons to get clean:
- Healing and strengthening family relationships that have been affected by addiction. Reconnecting with your spouse, children, parents, siblings and others is very rewarding and they can offer you the best support group because they are committed to your sobriety and wellness. Good family relations also means never having to feel lonely, neglected or abandoned especially during stressful times.
- Working to become healthy again after neglecting your body for so long is another benefit of being clean. Eating nutritious meals, staying well hydrated, getting plenty of rest and exercising will all help to strengthen and rebuild a broken body and immune system. A good diet and exercise will clear up the mind, and bring feelings of peace and well-being.
- Rebuilding yourself spiritually by reconnecting with God will give you the love, peace and joy that was lacking before. You will become more centered and in control of your life when you are grounded in God. Walking in faith produces much fruit that will benefit you for years to come.
- Being sober means you will be able to find, and maintain, employment again. You will be able to take care of yourself, pay your bills and even get out of debt. You may also want to attend school to earn a degree or learn a new trade. All these things are possible and they will build your self-esteem and help you to stay in control of your life.
- Begin living again by trying new things that may interest you like hiking, sports, dancing, yoga, fishing, arts and crafts, etc.
- Begin to have a healthy social life by making new friends who respect your sobriety and can add excitement and interest to your life.
- Going to peer support groups like AA and Al Anon will help you to stay on track of your sobriety and offer you another venue for socializing. Interacting with other recovering addicts should help to bolster the morale and offer each other support and advice.
- Being free from the grip of addiction will allow you to enjoy your life again. Addiction will no longer be dictating to you, but you will be in control of yourself and your life.
- Sobriety will bring with it a clearing of the mind also. Along with psychological counseling, you will begin to understand what negative thought and behavior patterns brought you into addiction. You will be able to unearth and release all the negativity that held you bound for so many years. Your mind will be free to function without fear, shame, guilt, paranoia, anger and depression.
- You will be free from the adverse effects of drugs and alcohol, and you will not have to worry about becoming physically toxic or overdosing.
You will be free to begin a new life, become more productive and find happiness. Being clean allows you the freedom to make your dreams become your reality.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.