Learn more about drug addiction treatment options here
When a person struggles with drug addiction, they may be ready to get help, but they aren’t sure where to start – or what will happen once they get there. Finding a professional drug addiction treatment facility can be the start of the journey, but a high-quality treatment center will not offer a one-size-fits-all approach. Having a center that offers several addiction treatment options can make a significant difference in the sobriety and success of a person struggling with drug addiction.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “no single treatment is right for everyone.” By offering multiple drug addiction treatment methods, a rehabilitation center is doing the greatest service to its clients.
What Are the Types of Treatment for Addiction?
At White Sands Tampa Treatment Center, our facility offers several different addiction treatment options. Examples of these options include:
- Medical Detox: Medical detox is often the first of the addiction treatment options that a person pursues. This service is intended to help a person reduce their physical dependence on drugs by making the person as comfortable as possible through medications and supportive services.
- Inpatient Rehab: Inpatient rehab services can be the follow-up to a medical detox program. After a person has completed the detox program, they can stay at our facility to continue counseling, participate in relapse prevention programs, and/or medication management.
- Residential Rehab: Sometimes a person may find they need additional time and support that continued treatment can provide. Residential rehab can be the needed service to accomplish this.
- Relapse Prevention: Relapse prevention programs can include options such as Narcotics Anonymous, family counseling, or individual counseling. They are aimed at helping a person continue to engage in the habits and discussions that help a person achieve long-term sobriety.
- Sober Living: Sober living homes are places a person can stay at after completing a treatment program to have a safe, sober environment to continue their successful recovery. While they are living in a sober living facility, they can search for employment and begin to rebuild their lives after suffering from addiction.
- Alternative Programs: There are many different programs that have been shown to help a person in recovery. These include music therapy, equine therapy, restorative yoga, biofeedback, and more. By taking a total-body approach to recovery, a person can experience greater success.
The great variety of addiction treatment options means that a person can play an active role in their recovery and receive the treatments that are best for them, given their history of abuse and overall health. Within each treatment method, there are many different approaches. For example, there are several different types of behavioral therapies. Examples include cognitive-behavioral therapy, which focuses on helping a person recognize “addictive” ways of thinking and correct their behaviors. Motivational interviewing is another approach, which focuses on helping a person find their own unique motivations for becoming and staying sober.
Key Steps to Addiction Treatment
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, successful addiction treatment has several key steps:
- Drug detox, where a person rids themselves of the drug in their body. Some people may go through medical detox, where they take medications to make the detoxification process easier.
- Behavioral counseling, which may include both inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment options.
- Taking medications to reduce cravings, such as for addictions to opiates, tobacco, or alcohol.
- Seeking evaluation and treatment for mental health concerns that could complicate drug addiction treatment.
- Engaging in long-term follow-up and relapse prevention programs.
Addiction is a chronic disease which means that a person is never truly “cured’ of their addiction because the potential for relapse is always present. This is why drug addiction treatment methods focus on not only a person’s immediate needs but also in preventing relapse when a person has been sober for several months and/or years.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.