Alcoholism remains a concern throughout the United States as millions of people suffer through the problems of alcohol use disorder every day. In 2015, the NSDUH reported that around 15.1 million adults in America were alcoholics. Only 6.7 percent of this group went to the Fort Myers treatment programs for alcoholism or similar programs to get the help they needed to achieve sobriety.
Alcohol use disorder creates many problems in a person’s life as well as in those closest to them. In this article, we will look at some of the dangers of alcohol dependence and why treatment at the alcohol rehab centers Fort Myers FL offers is needed.
Risks of Abusing Alcohol
The dangers to a person’s health from binge drinking and abusing alcohol frequently are as follows:
- Heart problems – The effects of alcohol abuse can affect the heart, causing problems such as cardiomyopathy, high blood pressure and arrhythmias. It can also cause a person to have a stroke, especially when prior medical conditions are present.
- Brain – Because alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, it can interfere with the pathways that deal with communication, mood and behavior. It can become difficult to think clearly and a person can develop serious problems with their coordination.
- Liver – As many people know, alcohol affects the liver making a person susceptible to conditions such as fibrosis, alcohol hepatitis, steatosis and cirrhosis.
- Pancreas – Improper digestion can occur as alcohol abuse can cause toxicity in the pancreas, leading to pancreatitis.
- Cancer – A person who binge drinks or abuses alcohol frequently can increase their risk of developing various forms of cancers. They include cancer of the throat, liver, breasts, esophagus and mouth.
Alcohol detox, especially when the addiction is severe, can be life-threatening. The withdrawal symptoms addicts often experience at the drug treatment centers Fort Myers has includes nausea, vomiting, anxiety, shakiness, headaches, rapid heart rate and seizures. The Fort Myers treatment programs for alcoholism can assist through the detox process to ensure that medical complications are safeguarded against and the withdrawal symptoms are properly managed in order to be easier to deal with.
Detox can be one of the most difficult and fearful times during recovery, and in a severe dependence, the drug treatment centers Fort Myers has should always be used for detoxification because of the many health risks involved with suddenly stopping alcohol abuse.
Fort Myers Treatment Programs for Alcoholism
The Fort Myers treatment programs for alcoholism makes use of research-based treatment methods to assist in the recovery from alcohol use disorder. By combining the principals of effective treatment suggested by government agencies such as NIDA, they are able to achieve positive recovery results with their patients.
Alcoholism, as with other drug addictions, is a mental disease. It can be a life-long condition that can cause a person to relapse even after years of sobriety. At the alcohol rehab centers Fort Myers FL has, the most effective relapse prevention strategies are taught so that when the early signs of possible relapse surface, the person knows exactly what to do to stop the process.
The Fort Myers treatment programs for alcoholism at the White Sands Treatment Centers provide inpatient, residential and outpatient treatment plans to accommodate the various needs that a patient may have. In each, behavioral therapies and alternative treatment methods are employed based on the specific requirements that each individual has.
If you or someone close to you suffers from alcohol use disorder, call the White Sands Treatment Centers today at (877) 855-6470 to inquire about their services and how they can help you.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.