Purple Drank was first popularized in the hip-hop culture of the 1990s. Many parents first heard of it when Harrison Garcia, the self-styled “CEO of Purple Drank” was arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to 30 years in prison for the sale of large amounts of narcotics to several popular rappers. The illegal concoction has been featured in rap music by Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, and Pimp C (died from an overdose), and mention is made of the dangerous drink by Justin Bieber, DJ Khaled, and Three 6 Mafia. The effects of purple drank abuse can be very serious, but young people are being fed a false narrative about the drink by the popular rappers and singers they look up to.
Effects Of Purple Drank Abuse
Many parents may not have heard the term purple drank, teens use several other terms for the deadly drink including sizzurp, drank, purple jelly, lean, syrup, Texas tea, dirty Sprite, and Tsikuni. If you hear one of those terms, pay attention. Purple drank is usually consumed from stacked Styrofoam cups, and made from easily obtainable ingredients including soda and fruit-flavored hard candy. The dangerous ingredient is cough syrup with codeine, a powerful opioid drug. Sometime the cough syrup will also contain promethazine (an antihistamine) which acts as a sedative. The effects of purple drank abuse can worsen gradually as the concoction is consumed more frequently. There are some unpleasant side effects noticeable for first-time users including the following:
- Memory lapses
- Blurred vision
The effects of purple drank abuse are more severe as it’s use increases. Regular users can suffer from the following:
- Dental decay and oral health problems
- Weight gain
- Urinary tract infections
- Slowed heart rate
- Constricted pupils
- Loss of coordination and balance
- Raspy voice
Large consumption of purple drank or long-term abuse can create life-threatening effects. Codeine is highly addictive and users quickly form a dependence. When combined with other drugs and alcohol, the results can be coma or death. The greatest risk of death occurs with the combination of the codeine in purple drank with a sedative drug (promethazine) or a depressant (alcohol).
Cough Syrup Overdose Symptoms
Abuse of cough syrup is a serious problem among teenagers. There is a high risk of overdose among users, which can be fatal. Cough syrup overdose symptoms can include the following:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Shallow breathing
When alcohol is also consumed, life-threatening symptoms can occur including central nervous system depression, which can slow or stop heart and lung function.
Cough Syrup Addiction Treatment
If your child has been abusing cough syrup, you should get treatment for him or her immediately. You cannot know if the next use will be the one that causes permanent physical or emotional harm. The time to arrange cough syrup addiction treatment is today. White Sands Addiction Treatment Center can help you get your teenager back on track, and educate him or her on the dangerous effects of purple drank abuse. Many teens believe this drug is not dangerous because it’s cough syrup, and their mistaken belief can be deadly. Call White Sands and talk to a trained counselor who can tell you the options that are available to get your teen to stop abusing this dangerous concoction of soda, opioid, and candy.
If you suspect your child is abusing prescription cough syrup or any other addictive substance, contact the professional counselors at White Sands Addiction Treatment Center. You’ll appreciate the compassionate care they provide to everyone suffering from an addiction
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.