Alcohol addiction takes a major toll on your quality of life and sense of wellbeing. It leads to problems in your relationships, legal and financial difficulties, and trouble at work or school. Alcohol addiction is characterized by the inability to stop drinking despite these problems. Your life may be falling apart all around you, but if you’re addicted, you’ll continue to abuse alcohol anyway, no matter how strong your willpower or good your intentions. If you’re tried everything, but still can’t stop drinking, residential alcohol treatment centers can help.
Good Intentions and Willpower Aren’t Enough to End an Addiction
The National Institute on Drug Abuse points out that for most people who are addicted, willpower and good intentions won’t help you stop drinking. That’s because addiction changes the physical structures and chemical functions of your brain, which in turn affects your thought patterns and leads to dysfunctional behaviors. Re-learning healthy ways of thinking and behaving is central to ending an addiction for the long-term, and this takes time. High quality residential alcohol treatment centers have been shown through a large body of research to be effective for helping end an addiction for good.
Benefits of Residential Alcohol Treatment Centers
Residential rehab offers the best treatment outcomes. Top rated alcohol rehab centers offer a number of benefits over outpatient treatment. Residential treatment:
- Allows individuals to focus solely on recovery while in treatment.
- Provides an adequate amount of time to develop new habits.
- Provides a high level of peer and staff support.
- Offer around-the-clock supervision.
- Offers a variety of intensive therapies to help you address a variety of issues.
- Gives you a safe place to develop and practice essential skills.
Medical Detox: The First Step of Treatment
If you’ve developed a dependence on alcohol, characterized by withdrawal symptoms that set in when you stop using, the first step of treatment at high quality residential alcohol treatment centers will be medical detox. Medical detox is supervised by medical and mental health professionals. During the detox process, medications are given as needed to improve your comfort during withdrawal and to prevent or treat dangerous symptoms that may occur during alcohol withdrawal.
Detox addresses only the physical dependence on alcohol and does little to treat the addiction, which is far more complex.
How Treatment Works to End an Addiction
To successfully treat an addiction, top rated alcohol rehab centers use a variety of traditional and complementary therapies that help you:
- Identify dysfunctional thought and behavior patterns and replace these with healthier ways of thinking and behaving.
- Develop essential coping skills to deal with stress, cravings, and other powerful triggers for relapse.
- Address the underlying issues that led to the alcohol abuse and addiction, which often include chronic stress, mental illness, or a history of trauma.
- Find purpose and meaning in life without alcohol.
- Learn to have fun and relax without alcohol.
- Repair damaged relationships.
- Develop a higher level of self-awareness.
- Improve your self-esteem and self-confidence.
The most commonly used traditional therapy in treatment is cognitive-behavioral therapy, which addresses self-destructive thoughts, ideas, beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors and helps you develop a range of skills that will help you stay sober for the long-term.
Holistic residential alcohol treatment centers also use a variety of complementary therapies, such as art therapy, adventure therapy, and music therapy, to help reduce stress, increase self-awareness, and enable you to look at old problems in new ways.
Alcohol Rehab Centers Near Me
Residential treatment for alcohol addiction can help improve your life on many levels. If you’re searching for “alcohol rehab centers near me,” don’t be discouraged if you don’t find a program to fit your needs nearby. You may need to travel to another location to find the best alcohol rehab center for you. WhiteSands Treatment in Fort Myers offers high quality, holistic treatment that’s tailored to your unique needs and issues. Our top rated alcohol rehab centers can help you end an addiction for good and restore your quality of life and sense of wellbeing for the long-term.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.