Holistic Addiction Treatment in Florida – Alternative Treatment Options
The National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIDA, compiled the principals that make addiction treatment affective. One of the needed aspects of treatment is that treatment must be adaptive and varied based on the person’s needs. One treatment program won’t work for everyone. A person may benefit more from holistic addiction treatment being added to their plan than they would with just traditional treatments.
In this article, we will look at the holistic drug rehab approach and why it’s becoming more common.
What is Holistic Addiction Treatment?
A holistic drug rehab offers patients alternative ways of treatments, referred to as holistic addiction treatment. Many of the programs offered at holistic drug detox centers in Florida are aimed at bringing together a person’s mind, body and spirit while helping them overcome the pitfalls of addiction. Most of the programs have a long history of medical uses such as yoga and acupuncture.
Why Use Holistic Addiction Treatment?
A person going through withdrawal from drugs or alcohol often also suffers from poor nutrition, insomnia and stress. These are conditions that alternative treatments such as nutritional therapy, yoga, chiropractic care and meditation aim to remedy. The programs at holistic drug detox centers are more flexible than their traditional counterparts making it easier to incorporate them into any plan.
They help through the following ways:
- Help to strengthen a person’s resolve to resist cravings.
- They can help to make the underlying causes of an addiction clear.
- Help to nurture and boost self-confidence.
- Help a person’s physical fitness through healthy exercise.
- Helps to improve self-esteem.
- The programs can help to rebuild or promote spirituality and mindfulness.
- Reduces the appeal that drugs and alcohol has.
Types of Holistic Programs
There is a wide variety of holistic programs available in a drug rehab. The common types of programs include the following:
- Art Therapy – Art therapy is a way for a person who struggles to talk about personal feelings to gain a new level of personal expression. It can assist in relieving stress and anxiety. Self-esteem can also be built through the therapy. It also brings about a sense of accomplishment.
- Nutrition Therapy – A common problem among addicts is a lack of nutrition, leading to many problems such as a lack of energy, emotional stress and insomnia. As a part of a treatment plan, nutritional therapy helps to give the person’s body what it needs to deal with the recovery process more effectively. Healthy food combined with vitamins and supplements can achieve this.
- Exercise – Regular mild exercise has been scientifically proven to have a positive impact on both mental and physical health. Exercise can help to lower levels of stress and rebuild body strength that was lost because of the addiction. It also helps to create a routine – something that is usually lacking in an addict’s life.
- Biofeedback – This is a treatment that helps to reprogram a person’s brain, changing the way they feel and respond to stimulus. It can help to reduce cravings and bring about a healthier frame of mind.
- Yoga – For centuries, yoga has been a way to improve your mental and physical health. The gentle exercise has all of the benefits of normal exercise but with added spiritual wellness and mindfulness. It can reduce anxiety and stress. It can also help to reduce feelings of anger and guilt.
Holistic treatment approaches can be an excellent addition to a person’s treatment plan. For more information about holistic treatment, call WhiteSands at (877) 855-3470.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.