Holistic Addiction Therapies Complement Medical Treatments in Alcohol and Drug Rehabs
Treating addiction is a multi-layered process with numerous facets, including detox, individual therapy, group support, and even medication-assisted treatment. To truly overcome addiction, people need treatment that goes deep into the root causes of substance abuse promoting healing the whole person from the inside out.
Conventional treatment is not the only approach to treating substance use disorder. Holistic therapies can be an excellent complement to other forms of treatment, giving addicts the inner strength they need to succeed in sobriety.
Holistic therapies like yoga, art therapy, biofeedback, and chiropractic care are already making a difference in the lives of many people with substance use disorders. These programs help to heal a person’s mind, body, and spirit, giving them a stronger foundation upon which to build a better life.
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction, call WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab today at 877.969.1993 to learn how we can help.
What Does “Holistic” Mean
The term holistic can seem mysterious, but it is simple to understand. Holistic simply means the various parts of a system are inextricably related to the whole and these parts cannot be separated from each other. Holistic therapies treat the whole person, physically, mentally and spiritually, understanding that these aspects of our being are inextricably connected.
When it comes to treating addiction and substance use disorders, holistic therapies like yoga, the creation of artworks, chiropractic adjustments, and biofeedback can provide additional support for those in recovery. These practices help address physical pain, enhance comfort, and provide an overall sense of mental and emotional well-being.
Common Holistic Therapies Used in Addiction Treatment Centers
Treating addiction entails a comprehensive process, and there are no shortcuts on the road to recovery. That is why the best drug rehab centers, including WhiteSands, offer a host of conventional and holistic solutions, each designed to complement and support each other with the aim of breaking the cycle of addiction.
There are many types of holistic therapies that can support those suffering from the disease of addiction. Some of the most effective holistic therapies for the treatment of addiction include:
1. Nutrition – Good physical health and excellent mental health go hand-in-hand, that’s why proper nutrition is so vital for those recovering from addiction. Treating the body with healthy food is a crucial part of treating a whole person. Learning how to eat well will help a person for the rest of their life.
2. Yoga – Yoga is much more than just exercise. This ancient form of meditation and relaxation has been around for thousands of years. In terms of holistic therapies, yoga is also a powerful way to calm the mind, ease pain, and lift the spirit. The benefits of yoga work well with other treatments like counseling.
3. Chiropractic care – The spine and skeletal system can profoundly impact the rest of the body, and that is what chiropractic care is all about. Holistic therapies like chiropractic adjustments can reduce pain without using drugs, giving people relief without the risk of addiction.
4. Biofeedback – Learning to control your breathing and take control of your inner reflexes is essential when overcoming an addiction, and that is what makes biofeedback one of the best holistic therapies for people learning to overcome addictive behaviors.
5. Art therapy – Artistic expression is wonderful for the mind, body, and spirit, and there is nothing like expressing oneself through art to make a person feel better and stronger. Art therapy provides an excellent way to release and cope with difficult emotions.
Find Proven Treatment Today at WhiteSands
Overcoming an addiction requires deep transformational work, it takes a combination approach that addresses the whole person to generate lasting results. Counseling and group support are important, but adding in holistic therapies can increase the odds of success and provide vital assistance for the long term.
At first glance, you might not think that changing your diet and eating right would have much of an impact on your recovery or that doing an hour of yoga would leave you feeling more energized and better equipped to avoid your most common addiction triggers. But in the real world, everything works together to form a cohesive whole, and that is what holistic therapies are all about. Contact WhiteSands Treatment to learn how we can incorporate our holistic approach to your recovery.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.