How to Quit Methamphetamine in Kissimmee
What Is Methamphetamine?
Methamphetamine, also known as meth or crystal meth, is a synthetic amphetamine drug that is a central nervous system stimulant. It was initially created to treat ADHD and narcolepsy but has been placed on Schedule II because of its high potential for abuse and psychological dependence. With the substance being so addictive, many users find it challenging to learn how to quit methamphetamine.
Meth addiction can cause changes to the brain that may not be fully reversible. Some of the effects of chronic meth use include:
- Anxiety/mood swings
- Memory loss/brain damage
- Major dental issues
- Cardiovascular issues
- Lung issues
- Sores on the skin/track marks
- Violent/aggressive behavior
There are also two main psychological issues related to meth use:
- Anhedonia – a lack of interest in things that used to be pleasurable due to changes in the reward centers of the brain
- Psychosis – meth can cause drug-induced psychosis in many individuals, with symptoms like delusions, hallucinations, paranoia, and repetitive motor activity
Because of these issues, and because it is so addictive, many people in Kissimmee need help finding out how to quit methamphetamine safely, with a focus on bodily health, along with mental health.
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction, call WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab today at 877.969.1993 to learn how we can help.
Why Is Methamphetamine So Addictive?
Meth is so addictive because it increases the dopamine levels in the brain and is much more potent than other amphetamine drugs, as it can pass into the brain much easier. Meth can:
- Induce feelings of pleasure
- Give you a sense of well-being
- Enhance your sociability and talkativeness
- Decrease your appetite
- Increase your level of activity
When meth is injected or smoked, it causes a quick, short-lived rush, and snorting or ingesting meth can cause feelings of euphoria within minutes. The problem is that there is a crash reasonably quickly after use, forcing users to try and maintain the high by taking more, sometimes avoiding sleep, eating, and their day-to-day responsibilities for the drug.
Signs of Meth Addiction
Some common signs of meth addiction include:
- Strong cravings for meth
- Ignoring social activities, hobbies, life responsibilities, work, and school to use meth
- Being unable to cut back or quit meth on your own, even if you really want to
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you try to stop
- Developing a tolerance to meth, needing to use more to get the same high
- Continuing to use meth even when your physical and mental health worsens due to drug use
You may notice a person who is using meth may:
- Have fast, rambling speech
- Display chaotic/aggressive behavior/mood swings
- Have excessive energy
- Have changes in friends/eating/sleeping
- Isolate from friends and family
- Have significant weight loss
- Scratch/have sores, nosebleeds, burns, dilated pupils, or track marks
How to Quit Meth
Learning how to quit methamphetamine properly can be extremely difficult due to the psychological dependence it causes and the host of physical health issues meth use can trigger. It is vital to have medical oversight when stopping meth, especially for the first week, because seizures and suicidal ideation may occur, and overdose can happen if relapse occurs. Entering a professional rehab facility is the safest way to ensure you remain stable, with medical and psychiatric care available 24 hours a day.
Meth Detox Kissimmee
For meth detox in Kissimmee, WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab offers a medically assisted treatment (MAT) program. Although detoxing from meth is less dangerous than other substances like opioid drugs or alcohol, you may be given medications that help you deal with the physical withdrawal symptoms that come with meth. MAT drug treatment programs combine physical health care, therapy, and counseling, treating you like a whole person, not just an addiction.
Meth Rehab Kissimmee
Rehabilitation for a meth addiction will involve behavioral therapy, one-on-one therapy, family therapy, education, relapse prevention programs, and group therapy. At WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab for Kissimmee residents, we also have an excellent physical health program that can meet you where you are, teaching you nutrition and fitness, with access to personal trainers, a swimming pool, and a full boxing gym.
Meth Addiction Treatment in Kissimmee
WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab is the top meth addiction treatment center in Kissimmee. We offer a safe and effective medical detox program, followed by an inpatient or outpatient treatment plan. The recommended route is spending a minimum of 30 days in inpatient care, followed by an extended outpatient program, with aftercare treatment available once these programs are complete. You will receive all the benefits of our luxury inpatient program, with therapy, counseling, medical care, and 24-hour help available if you need it, with a smooth transition back into your everyday life. We will be there for you every step of the way. Contact us to learn more about the meth detox and rehabilitation programs we offer in our luxury rehab clinic.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.