How to Help Someone With Drug Addiction in Orlando
How to Help Someone Struggling With Drug Addiction in Orlando
We all have loved ones that are close to us, and that we would go to any end of the earth to make sure that they are safe and cared for. When you witness someone close to you struggling with ongoing drug addiction, you are desperate to help them get sober and overcome their addiction, but knowing the best course of action is sometimes challenging to navigate. Addiction can keep strengthening the longer someone goes without help, which makes learning how to help someone with drug addiction extremely vital.
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction, call WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab today at 877.969.1993 to learn how we can help.
Signs and Symptoms of Drug Addiction
For many Orlando residents, knowing how to help someone with drug addiction is not always a cut-and-dry step. You may see that some behaviors or attitudes have shifted but still wonder if this sudden change results from drug addiction. Some common signs and symptoms for drug addiction are:
- Isolating from others
- Changes in social circles
- Lack of interest in hobbies or activities that they once enjoyed
- A decline in work or school performance
- Financial concerns
- Dishonesty or lying behavior
- Engaging in high-risk behavior
- Poor personal hygiene and self-care
- Marks or scabs on the skin
- Jaw clenching
- Change in physical appearance
- Irregular sleep patterns
Risk Factors for Developing Drug Addiction
Each person enters into addiction for different reasons and has their own unique underlying causes that have impacted their ability to remain sober. There are common risk factors that can contribute to an individual developing an addiction. With that said, some may experience some risk factors and not be tempted to use, while others may incur intense urges to use drugs.
Risk factors typically associated with addictive behaviors are:
- Abuse, traumatic incidents, or neglect
- Mental health concerns such as depression or anxiety
- Family history of addiction
- Method of using drugs such as smoking, snorting, or injecting
- Early-onset of using drugs
Tips for Helping Someone With Drug Addiction
When you are preparing to support a loved one with their drug addiction, it is important to remember these helpful tips:
- Get knowledgeable about addiction: Before you can support someone to overcome their addiction, you must first understand the nature of addiction and its complexity. Addiction affects each person differently, so it is essential to know how addiction plays a role in your loved ones’ lives.
- Encourage your loved one to get help: Providing reassurance that there are options should your friend, or family member decide that they are ready to take the extended hand of support to overcome their addiction.
- Offer your care and support: It is common for individuals living with addiction to feel alone in their battle with drug addiction. Knowing that they have the love and support from someone who truly cares often provides relief and comfort.
- Be supportive throughout their recovery process: Supporting your loved ones as they enter into treatment is merely the first step in their journey.
- Take care of your needs first: Providing support for a loved one is taxing for anyone. Your self-care is of top priority. To be a good support person, you need to ensure that you are healthy and well first.
What Not to Do When Helping Someone With Drug Addiction
It is not always easy to know how to help someone with drug addiction, but some things are best to avoid to maintain a supportive, positive stance with your loved one during this healing process. These include:
- Making excuses for their behavior
- Lecturing or threatening your loved one about their drug use
- Becoming an enabler to their drug addiction by supporting their lies or providing money for their drug habit
- Arguing with your friend or family member while they are high on drugs
- Attempting to make the person feel guilty about their addiction and how it has affected you to try and persuade them to get help for their addiction
- Feeling like you are responsible for their drug addiction and taking responsibility for their actions
Treatment for Drug Addiction at WhiteSands
WhiteSands Alcohol and Drug Rehab in Orlando offers residents a drug addiction treatment program that exceeds industry standards for the high level of care placed on each patient. We value every one of our patients’ stories and recognize that your addiction treatment program needs to be tailored to meet your specific needs. Through the individualized treatment programs that utilize evidence-based therapy methods, patients will gain perspective on what has been at the root of their addiction while learning strategies for positive life skills that support a life in recovery while avoiding potential relapse behavior. We provide patients an opportunity to heal from addiction within a safe and comfortable environment that fosters healthy personal growth and healing from addiction. Reach out to us today to learn more on how to help someone with drug addiction before it’s too late.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.