Signs of an Addictive Personality: What Are the Personality Traits of Addicts? | Get Help for Those Prone to Addiction: Call 24/7 for a Free Assessment
Among the most frequently studied subjects in addiction science is the reason why some people are prone to become addicted to drugs or alcohol while others are not. Over the years, traits have been identified that form the definition of an addictive personality, the personality type that makes one more likely to become an addict compared to others. Identifying whether or not you have an addictive personality can help you determine if you are likely to become an addict, and it can even assist you in recognizing if you currently suffer from an addiction to alcohol or drugs.
What Is an Addictive Personality?
Someone with an addictive personality shows tendencies and behaviors that make them more susceptible to developing addictions. It should be noted that some psychologists are reluctant to speak of an addictive personality because merely possessing many of the more common personality traits of addicts does not mean that one will necessarily develop an addiction. Environmental factors always play a role in whether an addiction actually develops. Also, having an addictive personality does not mean that the individual will become addicted to drugs or alcohol. People with addictive personalities may develop a sex addiction, a food addiction, an exercise addiction, or any number of other dependencies.
Addictive Personality: The Signs
There are numerous signs of an addictive personality that can indicate whether one is at a greater risk of developing an addiction. These include:
- Co-Occurring Disorders: Many addicts also struggle with conditions such as anxiety or depression. For this reason, dual-diagnosis treatment is particularly important when it comes to the treatment of addiction. By addressing the co-occurring psychological disorder, the risk of relapsing into addiction is greatly reduced.
- Impulsiveness: Another of the key personality traits of addicts is impulsiveness. Addicts do not often think through how their decisions may affect them or other people.
- Thrill-Seeking: The willingness to take risks can lead people to experiment with drugs or alcohol. A person who always shows an interest in finding a new thrill or who is never satisfied with life has one of the signs of an addictive personality.
- Family History of Addiction: People with a family history of addiction often show a predisposition to becoming addicts themselves. This indicates that at least for some people, there may be a biological influence on their addiction.
- Difficulty Managing Stress: An inability to manage life’s challenges often leads people to turn to unhealthy ways to deal with problems, such as using drugs or alcohol.
Getting professional help if you have the signs of an addictive personality can prevent drug or alcohol abuse in your life. But if you have already developed an addiction, Tampa Drug Treatment Center is here to help you with a high-quality dual-diagnosis treatment at our safe and comfortable facility. You will enjoy around-the-clock care from addiction specialists at every stage of treatment, from your initial detox to the final moments at our facility. Fill out our form or call us for more information on how we can help you.