According to a study conducted for the National Alcohol Screening Day, almost 99 percent of people studied aged 20-60 who have addiction issues do not believe they need professional assistance or treatment. For this large group, rehab isn’t even a consideration though it could radically improve their life.
Like addiction, recovery takes time and doesn’t happen overnight. Rehab and recovery however can literally save lives. In addition, it is best for an addict to have clinical and medical support when dealing with detox and withdrawal symptom or a condition known as post-acute withdrawal syndrome.
If you or a loved one has been on the fence about getting treatment, here are five reasons to go to rehab today:
- It can save your life. Whether someone is addicted to alcohol or drugs, they are putting their life at risk each day they go without help. Sometimes it isn’t even the actual drugs or alcohol that kills an addict, pointing out the popular saying, “If drugs don’t kill you, the lifestyle will.” Often times, an addict will put themselves in harms way and engage in risky behaviors, potentially leading to a lethal situation. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, remember there is help just a phone call away.
- It offers a period of sobriety. For many addicts, achieving a few days or even just a day of sobriety can be difficult. Enrolling in rehab offers a period to achieve this sobriety and make rational decisions for your life without being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Once the smoke clears, rehab can offer access to experienced counselors who can help you plan a new road for your life, free from substance abuse.
- Be surrounded by others getting help. Trying to achieve recovery or even getting into the mindset of thinking you need a recovery program is almost impossible if you constantly expose yourself to other addicts who are not in treatment. Rehab and recovery puts you in an environment with others who are experiencing the same things you are. Whether someone in there for days, weeks or months, everyone is working on the same goal – staying clean and getting their life back on track.
- Save money. In addition to not thinking they need a rehab, another popular thought or opinion when the idea of rehab is mentioned is that the cost is too high. With insurance and sponsorship programs helping with rehabilitation costs, the cost in the long run will be much lower than how much your addiction is costing you on a daily basis. In addition, addiction can cost you your life. No one should have to pay that price when rehabs are there to help.
- Learn why you are using drugs or alcohol. During rehab, you will learn many things, and one of those is insight into why you began using drugs or alcohol in the first place. Through one-on-one counseling and group therapy, you can reexamine trials you went through in life that brought you to the point of using substances to numb the pain. Once you learn why you do what you do, it is easier to move forward in a healthier way.
There are so many reasons to go to rehab, this is just a small sampling. Whether you have a family depending on you or want to truly learn why you have fallen into a life of addiction, rehab offers the possibility of a new life free from the bondage of drugs or alcohol. Don’t think about the cost or the thousands of reasons why you think you don’t need it, think about living a sober life, getting back on track and having the opportunity to accomplish all of the things you want to in life, drug and alcohol free.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.