Recovery from drug addiction isn’t easy, but a high-quality treatment program can help you succeed for the long-term.
Addiction changes your brain’s functions and structures and affects your thought and behavior patterns. Widely considered a disease of the brain, addiction leads to dysfunctional ways of thinking and behaving that can lead to serious problems in your life. Successful recovery from drug addiction requires a holistic treatment approach that addresses a wide variety of problems and issues. High-quality Florida addiction recovery centers help you delve into the issues that underlie your addiction and change your faulty ways of thinking and behaving for long-term success.
The Underlying Causes of Addiction
Addiction almost has underlying causes, and recovery from drug addiction requires addressing them. Some of the most common reasons people abuse drugs or alcohol in the first place include:
- To cope with chronic stress.
- To self-medicate uncomfortable symptoms of mental illnesses like anxiety and depression.
- To cope with unpleasant memories, nightmares, and fear that can result from being the witness or victim of a traumatic event, such as sexual or physical abuse, violence, or a natural disaster.
Florida recovery programs for drug addiction help you address these issues, along with helping you with a variety of other needs and problems that contribute to the addiction and make it more difficult to overcome. For many, these may include family dysfunction, legal problems, medical issues, or a lack of education or job skills.
High Quality, Holistic Treatment is Essential
High-quality Florida addiction recovery programs will adhere to the National Institute on Drug Abuse’s Principles of Effective Treatment. The Principles include the acknowledgment that:
- Addiction is a complex disease that’s treatable.
- No single treatment for addiction is effective for everyone. Successful recovery from drug addiction requires matching the treatment setting, therapies, and services to an individual’s specific, unique needs.
- Effective treatment requires addressing the multiple needs of an individual, including medical, mental health, social, vocational, and legal issues.
- Staying in treatment for an adequate amount of time is critical. Research shows that addicted people need at least 90 days of treatment for the best possible outcomes.
- Behavioral therapies like cognitive-behavioral therapy are the foundation of treatment and help individuals change self-destructive ways of thinking, develop or improve coping and problem-solving skills, and forge better interpersonal relationships.
- Medications are an important part of treatment when used along with counseling and can help reduce cravings, stabilize brain function, and improve mental illness symptoms.
- An individual’s treatment plan requires continual assessment and adjustments to ensure it meets changing and emerging needs.
- Co-occurring mental illnesses, like post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or anxiety or depressive disorders, must be treated at the same time as the addiction. Each disorder–the addiction and the mental illness–needs to be treated in the context of the other.
- Medical detox is only the first stage of treatment if a dependence has developed, but detox is not effective for recovery from drug addiction.
Florida addiction recovery programs that adhere to the Principles of Effective Treatment offer the best possible outcomes and typically offer a holistic approach to treatment. A holistic approach utilizes a variety of treatment therapies, including traditional psychotherapies along with complementary therapies such as art or nature therapy, acupuncture or massage, biofeedback, and others.
Florida recovery programs for drug addiction help many individuals overcome an addiction for good. Professional help ensures that you have the skills you need to cope with stress, cravings, and other triggers, and addressing underlying issues helps you not only end an addiction but also to improve your life on many fronts. Recovery from drug addiction is possible, and high-quality treatment makes it happen.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.