List of Opioids: What Drugs are Opioids?
List of Opioids that are Commonly Abused: What Drugs are Opioids?
There is a widespread problem in America with opioid abuse and addiction. The situation has been escalated to a national emergency by President Donald Trump. In 2015, over 20,000 people lost their lives because of prescription pain reliever overdoses and a further 12,990 people died because of a heroin overdose. New opioids are constantly being developed by pharmaceutical companies and illegal operations. Knowing a list of opioids can help you be aware of the many types of opioids on the market.
In this article, we will look at what kind of drugs are opioids and look at a list of opioids commonly used.
What Are Opioids?
Opioids refer to a class of synthetic and natural drugs that include heroin and prescription pain relievers such as oxycodone. To understand what kind of drugs are opioids, one must first understand how they interact with the brain. Opioids have an effect on the reward centers of the brain – areas that control pain and feelings of reward and euphoria.
Opioids are prescribed for chronic and severe pain, such as the pain experienced after surgery or from a long-standing condition. When used according to the prescription, the risk of addiction is low. When the drug is abused, it can quickly form into a dependence due to the highly addictive properties of opioids.
List of Opioids
The different types of opioids that are on the market today are available in a generic form or a brand name. In this list of opioids, both the illegal and legal forms of opioids will be discussed.
- Heroin – Heroin is a natural opioid and a Schedule I drug due to the high chance of abuse and addiction. This illegal substance is often used by people who are addicted to opioid pain relievers when they are not able to fill out another prescription.
- Opium – Many of the opioids used as pain relievers are synthesized from opium. They include oxycodone, codeine and morphine among others. The opium poppy plant is what heroin is made of.
- Oxycodone – This is one of the most popular opioids on the market. Its time release formula is used in drugs such as OxyContin, Oxecta and Roxicodone.
- Hydrocodone – Hydrocodone is one of the most prescribed prescription pain killers. It comes in a variety of brands including Vicodon, Lortab and Lorcet.
- Morphine – This drug is used for acute and chronic pain. It is often used to sedate a patient before surgery. It is considered by many as the best pain medication on the market. Brands include Oramorph SR, Arymo ER, MS Contin and Avinza.
- Hydromorphone – This opioid is a powerful narcotic that comes in brand names including Exalgo and Dilaudid. The drug is derived from morphine.
- Fentanyl – Fentanyl is one of the most powerful opioids on the market. It is around 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine and it is commonly abused. It goes under the names Fentora, Subsys, Lazanda, Duragesic and Actiq.
- Codeine – This substance is often seen in a combination drug such as in Tylenol1 through Tylenol4. The drug is considered to be a less effective version of morphine.
- Oxymorphone – This is an opioid that goes under the brand name of Opana and Opana ER. It is prescribed for people with continuous pain.
- Tramadol – This drug has a lower risk of abuse because of how it blocks the reabsorption of certain chemicals such as serotonin. It goes under the names such as ConZip, Ryzolt and Ultram.
For those who need help with an opioid addiction, WhiteSands Treatment centers are standing by to help you or a loved one through the hardships of recovery from addiction. Call them on (877) 855-3470 today.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.